Violent call to Rep. Elissa Slotkin traced to an Ingham County minor

<p>East Lansing High School holds State of the District Town Hall with U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin and State Rep. Julie Brixie on Feb. 21, 2020. </p>

East Lansing High School holds State of the District Town Hall with U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin and State Rep. Julie Brixie on Feb. 21, 2020.

Photo by Jack Falinski | The State News

U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin received a threatening voicemail this week, according to a statement from Slotkin.

The voicemail left at Slotkin's campaign headquarters used "threatening, sexually explicit and violent language," the statement said. The voicemail also included a threat to "shoot my way to victory."

Lansing and U.S. Capitol Police traced the voicemail to an Ingham County minor, according to Slotkin's statement.

The investigation revealed the minor was unlikely to pose an actual threat. Slotkin, who represents Michigan's 8th Congressional District, said this was a relief.

“This is not the first time violent threats have been directed at me or members of my team," Slotkin said. "I am making this threat public because the climate has gotten significantly worse in the last few weeks."

Recently, the FBI thwarted a plot to kidnap Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. The plot targeted state governments based on the belief that they had violated the U.S. Constitution.

The response to the conspiracy led to renewed calls to ban firearms in the Michigan Capitol.

Slotkin said it should not be normal that political differences should be met with violence. Additionally, Slotkin said she plans to involve law enforcement with every threat received.

"Leadership climate is set from the top, and every elected leader needs to set an example by calling out violent and intimidating threats and making clear it has no business in the 8th District, our state and our country,” Slotkin said.

The U.S. Capitol Police Public Information Office could not be reached for comment.

Share and discuss “Violent call to Rep. Elissa Slotkin traced to an Ingham County minor” on social media.