Friday, May 3, 2024

ICHD to offer drive-thru flu clinic Saturday

<p>A Michigan State University health team member picks up patient tests on April 2, 2020.</p>

A Michigan State University health team member picks up patient tests on April 2, 2020.

Ingham County Health Department (ICHD) will be hosting a drive-thru flu clinic Saturday, Oct. 10 offering vaccinations to anyone 11 or older, according to a release Wednesday.

Patients will remain in their vehicles the entire time, though walk-up vaccination is possible for those without vehicles. 

The clinic will last from 12-4p.m. in the parking lot of the Human Services building at 5303 S. Cedar Street in Lansing, according to the release.

While the flu vaccine is covered by most health insurance plan, ICHD will be offering it at no cost to those who are uninsured or underinsured. In addition to the drive-thru clinic, the vaccine will be offered by the health department Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays by appointment in the flu clinic in the Human Services Building, the release said.

“Everyone age 6 months and up should get the flu vaccine, especially this year when our healthcare system is already dealing with COVID-19,” Ingham County Health Officer Linda Vail said. “By doing all you can to stay healthy this year, you can help our community and our healthcare workers.”

According to the release, early vaccination is encouraged as immunity to the virus typically develops within two weeks of receiving the vaccine. Flu season typically peaks between December and February but is very unpredictable.

Common flu symptoms include fever, chills, body aches and coughing, the release said. The flu is a highly contagious respiratory illness and might lead to mild or severe illness and even death. The prevalence of these symptoms is likely to increase in the community as flu season approaches, and the vaccine offers the best protection against the illness, according to the release. 

Share and discuss “ICHD to offer drive-thru flu clinic Saturday” on social media.