Nancy Hollis, wife of former AD Mark Hollis, calls on trustees at BOT meeting

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

Nancy Hollis, wife of former MSU Athletic Director Mark Hollis, called on the MSU Board of Trustees to release more than 6,000 documents related to the sexual abuse scandal of Larry Nassar during the Friday, Oct. 30 Board of Trustees meeting.

Hollis said the board refused to release these documents that were needed for both the public and the attorney general's office to move forward and "allow the survivors and community to heal."

"I ask each of you on this board: What it is you're so fearful of in these emails?" Hollis asked during the public comment segment of the meeting. "Five of you on the board announced you would read these emails, now there is silence from you. What was the purpose of reading these emails?"

Hollis specifically called on the board's chair: trustee Dianne Byrum, as well as trustees Brian Mosallam and Renee Knake Jefferson to release the documents.

"Ms. Knake, you are an ethics specialist and you announced last year that you would read these emails," Hollis said. "You must have something to say."

Citing the resignation of former trustee Nancy Schlichting, who stepped down from her position in Oct. 2019 over the board's failure to move forward in the Nassar case, Hollis criticized Byrum's leadership.

"This is a direct reflection of the failure of your (Byrum's) leadership," Hollis said.

Hollis additionally criticized and questioned the hire of current MSU Athletic Director Bill Beekman, calling on Byrum to justify his hire in July 2018.

“This board strongly endorsed and vocally supported this hire (Beekman's) with apparent disregard for transparency and accountability," Hollis said. "Ms. Byrum, I call on you to answer for this hire and share with the public what you told me in our phone conversation last year." 

Hollis concluded by asking the board once again to act with transparency and release the documents.

"You are not a privately held corporation owned and controlled by the eight members of this board. You are accountable even though you refuse to act accountable to anyone," Hollis said. "I find this board's actions shameful. While I do have more to share I urge this board to publically answer the questions and concerns posed today. I urge you to act now with the transparency and integrity this community deserves.” 

Share and discuss “Nancy Hollis, wife of former AD Mark Hollis, calls on trustees at BOT meeting” on social media.