Sen. Bernie Sanders endorses MSU Trustee Brian Mosallam

The photo Brian Mosallam shared on Twitter, showing Bernie Sanders endorsed him for the 2020 Board of Trustees election.
The photo Brian Mosallam shared on Twitter, showing Bernie Sanders endorsed him for the 2020 Board of Trustees election. —
Photo by Courtesy Photo | The State News

Michigan State Board of Trustees member Brian Mosallam has received an endorsement from Vermont Sen. and former U.S. presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. Mosallam shared the endorsement on Twitter on Tuesday evening.

“I am extremely honored that Senator Sanders noticed my advocacy for justice on behalf of Survivors and decided to endorse in my race,” Mosallam said in a statement. “It’s a historic moment. I knew it was a national story but It was not my story. The positions I took I thought were common sense.”

In summer 2018, Mosallam called for MSU Interim President John Engler's termination as interim president, who was highly criticized for comments he made about survivors of ex-MSU doctor and convicted sexual predator Larry Nassar.

At the time, Mosallam and Chair of the board Dianne Byrum were the only trustees that supported Engler’s termination. 

He added that the story belongs to real heroes like Rachael Denhollander, Kaylee Lorincz, Sarah Klein, Amanda Smith and the rest of the survivors.

“I drew my courage and strength from them," Mosallam said. "I am just blessed to have parents who instilled the right values in their children."

He was first elected to the board for an eight-year term in 2012. He is the only incumbent running for reelection after Trustee Joel Ferguson announced in August he was no longer seeking reelection after serving three terms.

Mosallam and former educator Rema Vassar received endorsements from the Michigan Democratic Party this August.

On Nov. 3, Michigan voters will be able to select two new members to the MSU Board of Trustees. 

Mosallam’s competitors include Vassar, Republicans Pat O’Keefe and former state senator Tonya Schuitmaker, Green Party candidates Brandon Hu and Robin Laurain, Libertarian Will White, Natural Law candidate Bridgette Abraham-Guzman, and U.S. Taxpayers candidates Janet and John Paul Sanger.

Share and discuss “Sen. Bernie Sanders endorses MSU Trustee Brian Mosallam” on social media.