Michigan State football lands 2021 4-star offensive guard Geno VanDeMark

<p>New head football coach Mel Tucker speaks at his introductory press conference at the Breslin Student Events Center on Feb. 12, 2020.</p>

New head football coach Mel Tucker speaks at his introductory press conference at the Breslin Student Events Center on Feb. 12, 2020.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

MSU head football coach Mel Tucker has brought in his first four-star recruit with 2021 offensive guard Geno VanDeMark out of New Jersey.

“I would also like to thank every collegiate coach who offered me an opportunity to play for their team and represent their school,” VanDeMark said on Twitter. “Without further ado I am thrilled to announce my commitment to Michigan State University.”

In an interview with Rivals, VanDeMark said the pursuit by the coaching staff and the relationship he built with them sold him on MSU.

“Michigan State is the school that I feel wanted me the most,” VanDeMark said to Rivals. “I feel like I was a high priority for them since day one. I've built a great relationship with coach Kapilovic, the offensive line coach, and coach Tucker. I feel like we're growing tighter and tighter each time we talk on the phone.”

The ability to recruit was a major focus for Tucker when he was hired in February to replace former Head Coach Mark Dantonio. After a lull in recruiting in recent months, VanDeMark's commitment will bump Tucker’s 2021 class to No. 66 in the nation, but only ahead of Purdue in the Big Ten rankings, according to 247sports.

VanDeMark will join Ethan Boyd and Kevin Wigenton — who is also from New Jersey — as the only offensive lineman in the MSU 2021 class. VanDeMark has incredible size for his position at 6-foot-5 and 295 pounds, continuing the trend of Tucker’s incoming recruits recruits having larger than average frames for their position.

According to Rivals, VanDeMark is already an advanced run blocker, who will need to improve at protecting the quarterback in the future.

As for the outlook for the team, VanDeMark will look to make an impact on an offensive line that has struggled in recent years due to injury and lack of depth. Last year, the Spartan offensive line was ranked 114th out of 130 FBS teams by Pro Football Focus.

Share and discuss “Michigan State football lands 2021 4-star offensive guard Geno VanDeMark” on social media.