East Lansing HopCat employees test positive for COVID-19

The inside of HopCat restaurant is pictured on March 25, 2019, in East Lansing.
The inside of HopCat restaurant is pictured on March 25, 2019, in East Lansing. —
Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

East Lansing's HopCat bar and restaurant has temporarily closed after employees tested positive for coronavirus.

The restaurant announced via a Facebook post Monday night that they would be closing in order to deep clean the restaurant and that they have notified the county health department.

The employees were last in the restaurant on July 5, and were exposed to the virus outside of work. They are now self-quarantining.

"While they were exposed to this virus outside of work, we can ensure we took all the proper precautions at HopCat," the restaurant said in the Facebook post. "Within our four walls, all employees followed all of our safety protocols including our regular sanitizing processes that occur daily."

HopCat said in the post they practiced all CDC guidelines including requiring employees to wash their hands every half hour and to wear masks and gloves. Every employee also went through a daily screening for fever and symptoms.

The restaurant is unsure of how long they will be closed but plans on reopening in a few days.

"The safety of our guests and employees is our top priority," HopCat said in the Facebook post. "Per CDC guidelines and local health department direction, the risk of transmission among employees and guests is very low based on our practices."

The full Facebook post can be seen here:

East Lansing,We ask you to keep our employees in your thoughts as we navigate through this difficult time.Today we...

Posted by HopCat on Monday, July 13, 2020

This is a developing story. In our reporting, we'll focus on verifying information from credible sources. Stay with The State News for more updates on how COVID-19 is affecting the MSU and East Lansing community.

Share and discuss “East Lansing HopCat employees test positive for COVID-19 ” on social media.