Nessel proposes statewide police reform aimed at police accountability, transparency

<p>An East Lansing police car photographed on March 10, 2020. </p>

An East Lansing police car photographed on March 10, 2020.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel announced seven proposals set to increase transparency and accountability for and from law enforcement agencies and officers Tuesday, according to a statement from the attorney general's office.

Some of Nessel's proposals mirror actions taken in East Lansing, such as the plan to create an independent police oversight commission and the release of data reporting officer-initiated contacts by race.

The statement explains the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards, or MCOLES, required law enforcement officers to be licensed in 2016.

However, Nessel's proposals seek to change the lack of sufficient authority within MCOLES to revoke the licenses of officers "who demonstrate poor moral character or violate the public trust."

Nessel's seven proposals include:

• Authorizing MCOLES to revoke or suspend a police officer's license if the officer engages in conduct that affects their ability to perform their duties or if the officer engages in actions that are detrimental to the reputation and integrity of their police department.
  • Mandating all disciplinary records of an officer are maintained by law enforcement agencies in their personnel files.
  • The creation of a statewide misconduct registry by MCOLES. This database will be available to the public.
  • The amendment of the Public Employee Benefits Forfeiture Act so that retirement benefits of an officer are forfeited if they are convicted of a misconduct-related felony.
  • Mandate law enforcement agencies to report use of force data, including details such as race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin and religion.
  • The creation of an independent investigative and prosecutorial process for deaths related to the actions of law enforcement officers.
  • The requirement of continued education of law enforcement officers as a stipulation to their license. Training would include de-escalation, cultural competence and implicit bias trainings.

In terms of the requirement of law enforcement agencies to report use of force data, Nessel said this is "critical to identifying issues of systemic racism, bias or inadequate and improper training."

Nessel plans to meet with members of the Legislature, community groups, advocacy groups, law enforcement agencies and others to discuss these proposals, as well as potential areas of further reform, according to the statement.

“This is just the first step toward implementing positive change in our criminal justice system,” Nessel said. “I look forward to working with these stakeholders to identify and implement additional ways to ensure all people – regardless of their race, color or zip code – are treated with equal respect and dignity under the law.” 

Share and discuss “Nessel proposes statewide police reform aimed at police accountability, transparency” on social media.