Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer held a press conference Sunday focusing on 12 new COVID-19 cases in the state.
"So far today, we have identified 12 additional positive tests, bringing the total number in the state to 45 (cases)" Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Chief Medical Executive Dr. Joneigh Khaldun said.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, or MDHHS announced in a press release, received late Sunday night, an additional 8 cases bringing the total to 53 in the state of Michigan.
Khaldun said there is evidence of community spread of COVID-19.
Whitmer also ordered the temporary shutdown of casinos, due to the close proximity of patrons as well as the prevalence of shared surfaces.
While state and local governments have taken action to reduce the number of people patronizing bars and restaurants, Whitmer did not rule out temporarily closing all bars and restaurants in the future.
Whitmer said she is also working on feeding children who rely on school meals while districts are closed.
"At the local level there is a plan, and if parents or students are unaware of it, I encourage them to get in touch with their local district to find out exactly how it works," she said.
This is a developing story. In our reporting, we'll focus on verifying information from credible sources. Stay with The State News for more updates on how COVID-19 is affecting the MSU and East Lansing community.
This story was updated at 11:30 p.m. to include additional confirmed positive cases.