MSU temporarily closes recreational facilities

<p>MSU students compete in an intramural basketball game at IM Sports West on February 10, 2020.</p>

MSU students compete in an intramural basketball game at IM Sports West on February 10, 2020.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

Michigan State University’s Department of Recreational Sports and Fitness Services has temporarily altered their facility operations under order of Governor Gretchen Whitmer Monday night.

The facilities will remain closed until March 30.

Under this closure there are several cancellations effective immediately. This includes all:

• Intramural sports.
  • Group exercise classes.
  • Club sports practices and competitions.

Director Richard McNeil said the department is currently working on an appropriate refund process, but is unsure of any specifics.

McNeil said that the department is also planning for both a continued closure and a reopening in March 31, depending on the outstanding conditions of COVID-19.

“Given that we are in the active lifestyle and health business, it is with regret that we need to close access to our Spartan community,” McNeil said. “However, I understand and accept the risk to COVID-19 that comes with active participation and social interaction. I fully support the executive decision.”

McNeil said that Spartans can still be active outdoors, exercise and have physical activity in their own space.

“We are looking at options to offer “on-line” physical activity options to students, faculty, and staff,” McNeil said.

Share and discuss “MSU temporarily closes recreational facilities” on social media.