Tucker hires former Spartan great Courtney Hawkins as wide receivers coach

MSU head football coach Mel Tucker drops the puck before the game against Michigan on Feb. 14, 2020 at the Munn Ice Arena. MSU fell to U of M 5-1.

Michigan State University football coach Mel Tucker has named former Spartan Courtney Hawkins as the wide receivers coach on the offensive staff. Hawkins returns to Spartan Stadium from Flint Beecher High School where he spent 14 years as both the head football coach and athletic director.

Tucker has also extended an invitation to former Colorado offensive line coach and running game coordinator Chris Kapilovic where he agreeingly followed Tucker to East Lansing. Defensive staff members Mike Tressel and Ron Burton will be retained for the 2020 season.

Hawkins' MSU college career includes two-time first team All-Big Ten wide receiver from 1988 to 1991 while also earning MSU’s team MVP in 1991. In the 1992 NFL draft, Hawkins was selected in the second round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He went on to play for nine total years and then later after retiring, returned to Beecher in 2006 as head football coach.

While at Beecher, Hawkins lead the program to three conference titles, three division titles and one regional title, as well as being named regional athletic director of the year in 2018, and earning two separate spots in the Greater Flint Area Sports Hall of Fame and the Greater Flint African-American Sports Hall of Fame.

Share and discuss “Tucker hires former Spartan great Courtney Hawkins as wide receivers coach ” on social media.