ASMSU to host Q&A with President Stanley

<p>MSU President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. speaks during an ASMSU General Assembly meeting in the MSU International Center on Jan. 16, 2019. </p>

MSU President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. speaks during an ASMSU General Assembly meeting in the MSU International Center on Jan. 16, 2019.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU’s “Ask President Stanley” event will give students the opportunity to spend Presidents Day asking MSU President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. questions. 

Held on Feb. 17, the event will allow students who have not yet had the chance to interact with Stanley to listen to him speak and ask him questions. The event will begin with a chance for Stanley to address the students, followed by a Q&A forum. 

“I'm sure there are going to be questions about the administrative side of president Stanley's job, but also maybe some, like, ‘What's your favorite color?’,” Kakos said, “It could be a mixture of both. And, we're not shying away from anything, but still giving as holistic of an experience for the students that attend and for President Stanley as well.”

Students will be able to submit their questions in an online form prior to the event, in order to save time and filter repeated questions. There are spots for three questions on the form. Students can ask anonymously and may submit as many as they like.

Kakos said he came up with the idea for this event as a way to introduce Stanley to the remainder of the student body. The event was not planned intentionally for Presidents Day, however when that became an option, Kakos went for it. 

According to Executive Assistant Bridget Ertl, the event was requested on December 10, 2019.

“Our marketing department and Bridget, our executive assistant, is really helping ensure that it flows and the administrative side of things are getting handled," Kakos said. "Those are definitely two primary ... departments that are ensuring that it's executed well,”

When it came down to asking Stanley to partake in this event, Kakos said Stanley was very open to doing so.

“He was all for it,” Kakos said. “He was really glad that there's another opportunity for him to engage with students. He was really for I mean, he knows, in his job, he can't talk to every student or most students, that's fairly impossible. And, with that, I will say, like with his student office hours that he started up last month, he's really excited to talk to students.”

Kakos said ASMSU is excited for this event to provide Stanley with a better relationship with the student body. 

“I'm really excited for this,” Kakos said. “It's his first non-formalized academic event that the students are leading. The students are running the show, and this is his first event that he will be at where the students are putting their hands and feet behind it.” 

Share and discuss “ASMSU to host Q&A with President Stanley” on social media.