Winter’s here — the days are shorter, there’s snow on the ground, the classwork increases and some students might find it harder to get out of bed. With no break at MSU until Thanksgiving, it can be difficult to stay motivated and healthy. Here are our tips for getting out of that winter funk.
A little bit of self care can contribute to feeling better.
• Snuggle up with a warm, fuzzy blanket and plan a movie night
• Start journaling, and do some writing prompts
• Create a playlist that describes you in a positive aspect
• Do some DIY activities to express your creativity
• Turn off your phone for a day, and just focus on you
Take a day to do something that you normally wouldn’t find yourself doing.
• Plan a late night movie trip with some close friends
• Take a walk around campus to clear your mind
• Ride a Gotcha scooter for fun
• Attend a UAB event, such as craft night or open mic night
• Attend free campus events once a week
• Try a new restaurant on Grand River Avenue that you have never been to before
• Find a new recipe, buy all the ingredients and give it a try
• Eat foods such as dark chocolate, leafy greens, grains and fish (these foods are high in nutrients that can help with overcoming seasonal affective disorder)
• Go on a late night grocery shopping trip with friends
• Exercise, whether it’s with friends or by yourself