UAW strikers, GM reach tentative 4-year agreement

Flint resident and UAW 6000 member Marseille Allen speaks during a protest of state workers' bargaining rights on Sep. 20, 2017 outside the Capitol Commons Center in Lansing. When news of the Flint water crisis broke, Allen decided to remain in Flint to help those directly affected.
Flint resident and UAW 6000 member Marseille Allen speaks during a protest of state workers' bargaining rights on Sep. 20, 2017 outside the Capitol Commons Center in Lansing. When news of the Flint water crisis broke, Allen decided to remain in Flint to help those directly affected. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

General Motors and striking United Automobile Workers members reached a tentative 4-year agreement that will likely end the month-long strike.

"Our offer commits to thousands of new jobs right here in the U.S. and billions of dollars in new investments in our communities," said GM Executive Vice President of Global Manufacturing Gerald Johnson in a statement.

Details of the agreement will be released Thursday at a Detroit national council meeting, said UAW Vice President Terry Dittes in a statement.

Still, UAW members are encouraged to picket until the end of negotiations on Thursday and then await "further instructions."

“We are extremely grateful to the thousands of Americans who donated goods and helped our striking workers and their families. As we await the Council’s decision, please know that the outpouring of community and national support will be etched in the memories of all of us at the UAW for years to come,” Dittes said.

Share and discuss “UAW strikers, GM reach tentative 4-year agreement” on social media.