Spartans add third loss to record leaving Madison scoreless

<p>Senior wide receiver Darrell Stewart Jr. (25) attempts to break a tackle during the game against Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium on October 12, 2019. The Spartans lost to the Badgers 38-0. </p>

Senior wide receiver Darrell Stewart Jr. (25) attempts to break a tackle during the game against Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium on October 12, 2019. The Spartans lost to the Badgers 38-0.

MADISON, Wis.--Michigan State's nationally ranked defense was put to the test today against No. 8 Wisconsin. The Spartans were left in the dust at 38-0, as they were unable to stop the Badgers' deadly offense.  

"If you look at it and you say 'how did we use to play?'," MSU Coach Mark Dantonio said. "We used to play like Wisconsin."

The Wisconsin running back, Jonathan Taylor, ended the game with 80 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Although the Spartan defensive line proved promising with 10 tackles from Antjuan Simmons and nine tackles from Josiah Scott, it was not enough to slow down the Badger offense.

The game never seemed to pick up for the Spartans. MSU quarterback Brian Lewerke went 4-for-11 in pass completions in the first half. The abundance of drops and lack of third down conversions left the Spartans trailing 17-0 heading into halftime. That slow start gave much too big of an opening for the eager Badgers.

"We came out the third quarter and tried to rally back," Dantonio said. "A fake punt, probably our biggest play of the game to get us down there. But we didn't do anything with it."

Heisman Trophy contender Taylor took control offensively thanks to his athleticism, but more importantly his QB’s efficiency. Badger quarterback Jack Coan finished the game 18-for-21 in pass completions giving him a total of 180 passing-yards and one touchdown. The connection between Badger receivers and Coan took advantage of every seam in MSU’s defense. 

"Somebody [had] to change the game," said defensive lineman Reaquan Williams. "And nobody did."

The energy in Camp Randall Stadium grew overwhelming after an electric play from Coan in the second quarter. Just six seconds into the quarter, Coan connected on a pass to Quintez Cephus for a Badger touchdown walking all over Spartan defense.

The Spartans pushed for a red zone opportunity as the third quarter commenced, but after two consecutive sacks from Badger defenders, MSU offense was left unenergized and unable to make any comeback effort.

"They started out hot," Lewerke said. "Obviously they were chewing up the clock with their possessions and we went 3-0 back-to-back and that doesn't help."

As the fourth quarter began, MSU's defense looked tired. Overall, the Badger’s had possession of the ball for 39:10, causing the Spartan defense to work overtime.

"We knew we were out there for awhile," MSU defensive lineman Joe Bachie said. "That's our fault. We couldn't stop them."

All hope was lost for Spartan fans after Lewerke threw an interception that gave Wisconsin an elementary touchdown dominating the game 31-0. The lack of Spartan intensity was not only illustrated by the scoreboard, but also by the feasible lack of effort at the end of the game.

Michigan State will need to fix its offensive issues to finish out the last half of its season strong.

No. 8 Wisconsin stays undefeated 6-0, and Michigan State is now 2-2 in Big Ten play, and 4-3 overall.

The Spartans will finally get time to recover as they head into their bye week before facing Penn State October 26.

"The biggest thing I think is the confidence," Williams said. "Everybody's questioning themselves, and we've got to stop questioning ourselves."

Share and discuss “Spartans add third loss to record leaving Madison scoreless” on social media.