Search committee to find new provost announced

Beaumont Tower on Aug. 23, 2019.
Beaumont Tower on Aug. 23, 2019. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

In an email to the Michigan State University community, President Samuel L. Stanley Jr. announced the 22-person committee to select the next provost and executive vice president for academic affairs.

At a press conference after Friday's Board of Trustees meeting, Stanley and Trustee Dianne Byrum confirmed that the search for provost will be open.

The committee is made up of professors, students, deans and researchers. At the press conference, Stanley said he wanted the committee to be made up of people at different levels of leadership at the university to ensure the entire MSU community would be represented.

The committee will be co-chaired by dean of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources Ron Hendrick and MSU foundation professor and assistant provost for faculty development Beronda Montgomery.

Doctoral and undergraduate students are also represented on the committee, including Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, President Mario Kakos.

The committee will work with Parker Executive Search, an executive search firm that specializes in higher education administrations. The two will work together to develop a description of qualities the university desires in the next provost.

The finalists will be brought to campus in the spring, and the next provost is expected to be identified by the end of the spring semester.

Teresa Sullivan will serve as interim provost until the end of the academic year.

Read Stanley's letter to the community below.

screen-shot-2019-10-29-at-6-09-30-pm

Share and discuss “Search committee to find new provost announced” on social media.