New group 'The Wander Society' looks to provide MSU students with hiking experiences

With a laid-back dynamic and an all-freshmen executive board, Michigan State’s first hiking club, The Wander Society, is coming to terms with the struggles of establishing a new student organization.

The group is in its beginning stages, but is working to provide students with various hiking experiences.

“Bryan (Scutari) started a group chat in the Class of 2023 Facebook page and we just ended up getting together just to do like a small little hike like really close to campus," Co-President Lauren Snyder said. “We decided ... might as well make this a club. It might be a really fun thing to do.”

Scutari’s original Facebook post in May received over 70 comments from interested MSU students who later joined a GroupMe, where Scutari and Snyder expressed interest in creating an executive board in order to become an official registered club.  

“The post on Facebook got a lot of people looking at it and decided to join it … and all those people were like, ‘Oh a club might be a good thing to do, as well,'" Snyder said. 

Alternatively to MSU’s Outdoors Club, The Wander Society is planning to focus on the more casual appreciations of nature and socializing among group members. 

“I’ve been hiking for most of my life, so this was definitely something that piqued my interest,” Treasurer Zack Grieser said. “You have the Outdoors Club, which is daunting. It’s huge. And then the hiking group, which is a small group chat and it’s easier to meet people in a smaller environment like that.”

The group is going to host monthly walks on various trails, as well as bimonthly movie nights.

The most concerning part about establishing the club is the transportation aspect of getting to and from the trails. In order to continue going to new trails, the club is planning on applying for funds through the university, as well as coming up with fundraisers. 

Seeing as the group began in the Class of 2023 Facebook group, the club consists of mostly freshmen and is run by an all-freshmen executive board. Scutari believes this gives new students a way to bond and meet each other.

The group has sought the help of graduate student Cameron Kish to advise the club. They have begun filling out their club constitution.

As their process continues, the board is expecting struggles in establishing a foundation and making sure the club stands the test of time.

“I think it just needs to become more of a club. We have to get out there, have a social media presence, make posters. We should just be another club here,” Grieser said. “Everyone should get out there and try (hiking) at least once. I know it’s not everybody’s thing and they don’t want go on a big long walk, but to actually be there is truly its own experience.”

Share and discuss “New group 'The Wander Society' looks to provide MSU students with hiking experiences” on social media.