Mark Dantonio to testify in deposition without limits on questions

Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio during the game against Northwestern at Ryan field on September 21, 2019. MSU defeated Northwestern 31-10.
Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio during the game against Northwestern at Ryan field on September 21, 2019. MSU defeated Northwestern 31-10. —
Photo by Connor Desilets | The State News

Federal judge Ellen S. Carmody ruled that MSU head football coach Mark Dantonio must sit and answer any and all questions attorneys have in an up to seven hour deposition concerning his knowledge of convicted former defensive lineman Auston Robertson, the Detroit News reports.

Former Michigan State football staffer Curtis Blackwell said in a six and a half hour deposition last month that Dantonio ignored several warnings during the recruitment of former defensive lineman Auston Robertson, who was sentenced to up to 10 years for criminal sexual conduct. Dantonio allowed Blackwell’s contract to expire in 2017.

Blackwell's lawsuit centers around allegations that he was wrongfully terminated by Dantonio, former athletic director Mark Hollis and former president Lou Anna K. Simon.

Although Dantonio has denied that Robertson had anything to do with Blackwell’s dismissal and therefore should be exempt from questioning, Carmody wants further information from Dantonio.

Blackwell’s attorneys will be allowed to ask about Robertson’s recruitment and subsequent conviction, as well as topics concerning the Larry Nasaar scandal.

Dantonio’s deposition will take place sometime after the football season ends, as per request. The official date for the deposition has not been confirmed.

Share and discuss “Mark Dantonio to testify in deposition without limits on questions” on social media.