East Lansing land sale to appear on Nov. 5 election ballot

<p>The East Lansing clock tower on Aug. 23, 2019 in East Lansing.  </p>

The East Lansing clock tower on Aug. 23, 2019 in East Lansing.

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

A ballot proposal for the Nov. 5 election would authorize the sale of land the City of East Lansing owns at the southwest corner of the West Road and Coleman Road.

The ballot also decides which of the six city council candidates will fill three vacant spots.

Residents were notified Thursday, Oct. 24 of the new question centered around the sale for unimproved land except for two billboards.

The city purchased the property to protect an assessment owned to the city from the owner who was in tax foreclosure due to unpaid property taxes.

Clinton County paid annual taxes owed to East Lansing until the tax foreclosure finalized, when the county put the land up for sale.

The city bought the property because if Clinton County sold to a third-party for less than what they paid East Lansing, the city would be required to pay back the difference, according to a city release.

The November 5, 2019 General Election ballot language will read as follows:

In an effort to recoup the purchase price for property that was purchased as the result of tax foreclosure proceedings, is the City Council authorized to sell all or a portion of the 26.83 acres of mostly vacant, unimproved property (unimproved except for two billboards) located at the southwest corner of the West Road and Coleman Road intersection in the northwest tier of the City?

Share and discuss “East Lansing land sale to appear on Nov. 5 election ballot” on social media.