ASMSU kicks off It's On Us: Week of Action

<p>Members of the Associated Students of Michigan State University (ASMSU) pose during their organized event to kickoff It&#x27;s On Us: Week of Action on Monday, Oct. 14, 2019.</p>

Members of the Associated Students of Michigan State University (ASMSU) pose during their organized event to kickoff It's On Us: Week of Action on Monday, Oct. 14, 2019.

Photo by Eli McKown | The State News

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, kicked off this year's It’s On Us: Week of Action by handing out t-shirts, cookies and other merchandise outside of Wells Hall. 

MSU’s student government held this year’s kickoff event to spread awareness of sexual assault, sexual harassment and gender discrimination.  

The theme of the items distributed at the kickoff event was, “We believe survivors."

ASMSU Vice President for Academic Affairs Brianna Aiello spoke on what ASMSU is doing for this year’s It’s On Us week. 

“Today is all about awareness and making us visible to make students know that it is It’s On Us week," Aiello said. 

ASMSU is also coming up with new ways to combat sexual assault. 

“We’re actually working on creating a task force ... to try to solve some of the issues regarding sexual assault on campus," Aiello said. "Personally, ... I am working with the administration to change some of our current policies.” 

This year’s It’s On Us week includes many events, including Laverne Cox's keynote speech at the Business College Complex on Tuesday, Activism Through Art at the Broad Art Lab on Wednesday and Music and Healing: Finding Our Voice at the MSU Museum on Thursday.

Stay with The State News for more coverage on It's On Us week.

Share and discuss “ASMSU kicks off It's On Us: Week of Action” on social media.