Saturday, September 7, 2024

Laverne Cox to speak at 'It's On Us' week

<p>It&#x27;s On Us cookies at the MSU Union on April 2, 2019.</p>

It's On Us cookies at the MSU Union on April 2, 2019.

Actress, producer, writer and equal rights advocate Laverne Cox will be the keynote speaker at Michigan State for the annual "It's On Us" Week of Action.

It's On Us week allows the MSU community to raise awareness and promote changing the culture around sexual violence. It pushes for people to take accountability and action to end sexual violence.

Cox's speech, "Ain't I a Woman: My Journey to Womanhood," will be taking place from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Oct. 15 at MSU's Business College Complex. The speech will discuss how race, class and gender affect the lives of trans women based on her experiences.

Tickets go on sale Friday, and are only open to MSU students, staff and faculty.

Laverne Cox has been nominated for three Primetime Emmy Awards for her role as Sophia Burset in Netflix's "Orange is the New Black." She also won a Daytime Emmy Award for a docu-series she produced, titled "Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word."

She is the only openly transgender person to be nominated for a Primetime Emmy in any acting category, and only the second ever nominee since Angela Morley in 1990.

A full list of events happening during It's On Us week are:

• The kickoff event, held between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. at the field in front of Wells Hall on Oct. 14
  • The Art of Surviving, held at Blue Owl Coffee in East Lansing from 7 p.m. to close Oct. 14
  • Laverne Cox's "Ain't I a Woman: My Journey to Womanhood" on Oct. 15
  • Activism Through Art, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the MSU Art Lab Oct. 16
  • Music and Healing: Finding Our Voice, held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the MSU Museum on Oct. 17
  • Teal Out, an event in which people wear teal to show their support of sexual assault survivors all day Oct. 18

Share and discuss “Laverne Cox to speak at 'It's On Us' week” on social media.