Foster Coffee to open Landmark location

<p>An employee prepares free coffee for those at the press release event at Foster Coffee Co in East Lansing on Sept. 11, 2019.</p>

An employee prepares free coffee for those at the press release event at Foster Coffee Co in East Lansing on Sept. 11, 2019.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

“A community is not just made up of a business showing up and just selling something,” said Nicholas Pidek, co-owner.

“Foster Community Through Coffee” is a fitting motto for the Foster Coffee Company, soon to be open in downtown East Lansing. The shop's pre-opening Sept. 11 tasting drew high praise.

Calla Ramont, who runs an Instagram page on clean eating with about 18,000 followers, said “I was on the hunt for a coffee shop that made homemade almond milk. This is the only one.”

Ramont's mother Lisa said Foster was an improvement from other coffee shops in town.

East Lansing Mayor Mark Meadows and Council member Aaron Stephens were also at the pre-opening. They both said they were pleased that a family-owned business opening their doors downtown was underway.

“The coffee is great, the environment is great and we are so proud to have another great business like Foster Coffee in downtown East Lansing,” Stephens said.

20190911fostercoffee-5

Pidek said management at Foster goes to city government meetings and talks to community members to find out ways to help. They also partner with other local businesses and nonprofits. 

Pidek said Foster aims to do more than just give out a gift card or free coffee every now and then, rather they assess what their partners need and try to do something unique.

He pointed to Foster's business in Flint, where they partnered with Carriage Town Ministries, a Christian-based shelter that provides food, clothing, walk-in health clinics, church services and employment opportunities. The shelter operates Blueline Donuts, where people at the shelter can work in culinary services.

Foster purchases products from Blueline, which helps fund their program and the shelter organization. Pidek said he witnessed a man who turned his experience at Blueline into a job at Donna’s Donuts.

“It’s like this weird, really great mix of helping what their mission is with ours,” Pidek said.

Share and discuss “Foster Coffee to open Landmark location” on social media.