Munn groundbreaking underway with support of Tom Izzo

The Munn Ice Arena expansion kicked off Saturday, September 7. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on the building's west side, highlighted by speeches from Sam Saliba and Michigan State President Samuel L. Stanley Jr.

Produced by: Peter Hulett

On Saturday, Sept. 7, MSU hosted a formal groundbreaking event for the $18.8 million expansion of Munn Ice Arena. 

Originally opened in 1974, Munn Ice Arena has fallen behind competitor facilities, lacking team meeting spaces, operational areas and energy efficiency. These setbacks have prompted the expansion project, which will feature a new locker room, state-of-the-art weight room, hydrotherapy pools, shooting bays, players lounge and new offices for the coaching staff.

“We are working everyday at the rink to put Michigan State hockey back on the map and this renovation speaks volumes to that,” hockey team captain Sam Saliba said. 

Set to be completed next fall, the expansion is funded by non-general funds and gifts to the Athletics program. Men’s Basketball Head Coach Tom Izzo pledged $1.1 million to support the project.

Izzo, along with MSU President Samuel L. Stanley Jr., Trustee Melanie Foster, athletics director Bill Beekman and Hockey Head Coach Danton Cole were among those who spoke at the event of over 400 people.

“As far as hockey goes it is our hope that through this renovation and addition we will be able to assist in the return of the program to its rightful place, competing for national championships again,” Stanley said. 

Share and discuss “Munn groundbreaking underway with support of Tom Izzo” on social media.