City of East Lansing to open cooling centers in light of intense heat

<p>East Lansing City Hall on July 3, 2018.</p>

East Lansing City Hall on July 3, 2018.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Starting Thursday, the City of East Lansing will have cooling centers open through July 20 in response to the intense heat index.

The heat index has a possibility of reaching over 100 degrees, according to a press release from the City of East Lansing.

It is recommenced to limit time outside and remain in cool locations.

The East Lansing Public Library, located at 950 Abbot Road, is the designated cooling center for East Lansing. It will be open during regular business hours, from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on July 18, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on July 19 and July 20.

Free rides are available for those with physical and financial need through CATA, EATRAN and Clinton Area Transit.

For more cooling centers and to check if you are eligible for free transportation, call 211 or visit www.cityofeastlansing.com/CoolingCenters.

The City of East Lansing noted that it is important to not leave anyone — including pets — in a parked car for any amount of time, to make sure all pets have water and are not left outside for extended amounts of time, to check in on friends or neighbors who might have trouble with the heat and to drink plenty of water while engaging in outdoor activities.

The city also recommended to wear light-colored clothing, to avoid drinking alcohol, to avoid being in the sun for too long and to wear sunscreen.

Share and discuss “City of East Lansing to open cooling centers in light of intense heat” on social media.