City council considers pilot programs, sets hearing for dispensary

<p>Mayor Mark Meadows at the July 16 East Lansing Council Meeting.</p>

Mayor Mark Meadows at the July 16 East Lansing Council Meeting.

Photo by Junyao Li | The State News

The East Lansing City Council set a public hearing for a multi-use hotel and dispensary and heard presentations on July 30-minute, free parking and a protected bike lane on Bogue Street at their meeting Tuesday night.

Where to go with 30-minute free parking

Tim Dempsey introduced new data on the parking pilot program offering free 30-minute parking at parking garages during the month of July.

The first slide compared the first two weeks of both July 2018 and July 2019.

The data shows revenue decreased about 17.3% from $42,875 in 2018 to $35,456 in 2019.

It also showed a change in number of transactions during those two weeks, which showed significantly more people using 30 minutes of parking.

“People are aware that they are being provided the free half-hour parking and are taking advantage of it,” Dempsey said.

But the people using the parking are not staying longer.

Dempsey said of the 13 responses to a survey about the program, some report a level of uptick.

“It’s very early though,” he said. ”We’ll learn more over the next two weeks."

Mayor Mark Meadows said after receiving a final report that the council might consider making the pilot program permanent in September.

The council also considered extending the July parking pilot to August 10, but decided against it.

Stephens said the program could be considered annually as a summer program.

“I actually think an extension would give us that data where having this end in July wouldn’t,” Stephens said.

Dempsey said the council should maintain the July 31 end date.

“We have some logistical challenges that we face with programming and other issues,” Dempsey said. “For the limited amount of time I’m not sure that it would be worth what we have to deal with on staff.”

Altmann withdrew his motion shortly after Dempsey spoke.

“We’re done with that,” Meadows said.

Protected bike lane

A new temporary protected bike lane is planned for Bogue Street.

Transportation Commission Chair Thomas Baumann spoke briefly on the new project.

“The commissioners are very excited about this," Baumann said. “This would be the first protected bike lane in this area as far as I know.”

MSU representatives presented this project at the July 15 transportation commission meeting just before presenting it to the city council.

The plan includes temporary installation of a protected two-way track in place of the outside lane of southbound Bogue Street. Tentative schedule of mid-August to the end of October.

The bike lane will be installed on Bogue Street between East Grand River Avenue and Shaw Lane.

The installation includes signs, removable pavement markings, tubular markers, concrete bollards and barricades.

Dispensary hotel

Council members set a public hearing for August 13 to consider approving a multi-use building that would be a dispensary and a hotel.

The project is formerly city-owned property acquired by the developer via an eBay auction. The planned development site was once a city public works building.

The building is at the southwest corner of the intersection of Merritt and Park Lake Roads.

The site plan includes a 7,000 square foot medical marijuana provisioning center as well as a four-story, 107-room hotel.

Their conceptual plans, along with site plans, were discussed in the June 26 planning commission meeting.

Share and discuss “City council considers pilot programs, sets hearing for dispensary” on social media.