Preview: Michigan State, CMU face off at McLane Stadium

Freshman infielder and outfielder Zach Iverson (32) moves for home base at McLane Baseball Stadium on April 13, 2018. The Spartans fell to the Crusaders, 7-6. (Annie Barker | State News)
Freshman infielder and outfielder Zach Iverson (32) moves for home base at McLane Baseball Stadium on April 13, 2018. The Spartans fell to the Crusaders, 7-6. (Annie Barker | State News) —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

The Michigan State Spartans (5-20, 0-5 Big Ten) will host Central Michigan (20-7, 5-1 MAC) on Wednesday with first pitch at 4:05 p.m.

This game will be the conclusion of a six-part series against in-state opponents for the Spartans.

2019 In-State Series Results

• W vs. Western Michigan, 3-2, on March 27.
  • L vs. University of Michigan, 3-6, on March 29.
  • L vs. U-M, 2-16, on March 30.
  • March 31 vs. U-M postponed.
  • W vs. WMU, 5-2, on April 2.

The Spartans come off a win against Western Michigan for the second time this season, defeating the Broncos 5-2, April 2 at Comerica Park in Detroit. MSU scored 3 runs in the first inning before sealing the win with two more in the eighth. Junior left fielder Bryce Kelley scored two runs while senior shortstop Marty Bechina, junior designated hitter Bailey Peterson and sophomore third baseman Zach Iverson score a run each.

The Chippewas come off a 17-7 win over University of Notre Dame on April 2 in South Bend. CMU scored seven runs in the span of the first four innings and ten in the eighth and ninth innings. Senior Jacob Crum, juniors Zach Heeke and Zach Gilles and sophomores Zavier Warren and Chase Rollin each had three runs while sophomore Griffin Lockwood-Powell had two runs.

MSU has a 1-1 home record while CMU comes in with an 8-5 away record.

Share and discuss “Preview: Michigan State, CMU face off at McLane Stadium ” on social media.