Notebook: Strong defense looking to lead Spartans in new direction

<p>Junior defensive end Kenny Willekes (48) collides with Northwestern&#x27;s senior lineman Tommy Doles (71) during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 6, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The Wildcats led the Spartans, 14-6 at halftime. </p>

Junior defensive end Kenny Willekes (48) collides with Northwestern's senior lineman Tommy Doles (71) during the game against Northwestern on Oct. 6, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The Wildcats led the Spartans, 14-6 at halftime.

Photo by Sylvia Jarrus | The State News

This year’s Spring Game will have the same setup as the past three; the offensive will square off against the defense to conclude this year’s spring ball.

“I’m looking forward to playing in front of the fans,” junior corner Josiah Scott said about the Spring Game. “To give them the first look at the 2019 Spartans and what we’re all about and what we’re going to do this year.”

Senior Josh Butler will most likely be the Spartans other starting corner, opposite of junior Josiah Scott this fall but knows that he still has to show his abilities in that spot.

“I’ve definitely have had a lot of starting opportunities playing,” Butler said about his experience in the offseason in the corner position. “I feel like it’s my time and my opportunity to play out the season as a starter. I’m just looking forward to the season to show my skills.”  

Butler, who played behind Justin Layne last year, had five starts last season and has the experience that defensive coordinator Mike Tressel said was the primary focus for the spring for his second and third groups.

“Our back-ups are just as good as our starters,” Scott said about the talent and ability of the second and third groups. “I feel like we have a lot of experience coming back.”

Seniors Joe Bachie and Kenny Willekes had the opportunity to skip their last year and go pro, but decided to come back for their senior year.

“I plan on playing,” Bachie said about his availability for the Spring Game. “I’ll be out there playing and having fun.”

Bachie will likely play a limited amount of snaps and Willekes will sit out the scrimmage because of his recovery process from a left fibula injury in the Redbox Bowl.

“Hopefully within the next month or month and a half,” Willekes said about the timeline of reaching one hundred percent. “It just depends on how everything goes with the rehab, with the running, how it feels.”

Senior Josh Butler, who knows he still needs to prove himself, and junior Josiah Scott will most likely be the Spartans' starting corners this fall.

“I’ve been in the situation before, I’ve stepped up to the plate before, I’ve had a feel for what games (are) really like. I’m just ready,” Butler said.

Sophomore receiver Jalen Nailor is one of the underclassmen who has been getting plenty of reps this spring.

“Last year, (I had to) learn the offense still,” Nailor said about the last season’s opportunity to play as a true freshman behind senior Darrell Stewart Jr. and junior Cody White. “I would say the biggest thing, is making an impact early, being able to play early is rare. I’m just trying to make an impact.”

Kick-off for the 2019 Spring Game will be 2 p.m. on April 13.

Share and discuss “Notebook: Strong defense looking to lead Spartans in new direction” on social media.