Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Final 'Sister Survivors Speak' panel talk to feature exhibit artists

People view the exhibit during the Finding Our Voice: Sister Survivors Speak Exhibition Opening Ceremony at the MSU Museum on April 16, 2019.
People view the exhibit during the Finding Our Voice: Sister Survivors Speak Exhibition Opening Ceremony at the MSU Museum on April 16, 2019. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

The final iteration of the Michigan State Museum’s “Finding Our Voices: Sister Survivors Speak” series will take place at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

The latest panel talk is titled “Repair: Art, Ceremony, and Healing in the Shadow of Violence.” It comes the week after the April 16 opening of the museum’s “Finding Our Voices: Sister Survivors Speak” exhibit. Artists and the members of the sister survivors network contributed poetry, artwork, text and audio to that exhibit, which was brought to life by MSU Museum curators and by members of The Army of Survivors, a survivor-ally support network.

Alexandra Bourque and Jordyn Fishman — two artists who contributed artwork to the exhibit — will be guests. The panel will be moderated by Carla Acevedo-Yates, an associate curator at the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum on MSU's campus.

The MSU Museum is also set to host a series of “Teal Talks,” or facilitated conversations about the “Sister Survivors Speak” exhibit. The first of those is set for 1 p.m. on April 20.

The “Finding Our Voices: Sister Survivors Speak" exhibit remains open until March 30, 2020.

Do you want the news without having to hunt for it? Sign up for our morning s'newsletter. It's everything your friends are talking about and then some. And it's free!

Share and discuss “Final 'Sister Survivors Speak' panel talk to feature exhibit artists” on social media.