Sunday, May 31, 2020

Storm causes minor damage to MSU Business College Pavilion project

A portion of the ceiling of the Michigan State Business College Complex Pavillion collapsed following a day of heavy rain in East Lansing on Thursday, March 14, 2019. Nic Antaya/The State News
A portion of the ceiling of the Michigan State Business College Complex Pavillion collapsed following a day of heavy rain in East Lansing on Thursday, March 14, 2019. Nic Antaya/The State News —
Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

Due to the high winds and rainstorm that passed through East Lansing in the late evening, a part of the upcoming Eli Broad College of Business Pavilion — that is currently under construction — collapsed.

The minor damage occurred on the exterior of the south side of the pavilion that faces Shaw Lane. The damage happened within the secure part of the construction that is not accessible to the public, according to MSU Spokesperson Heather Young.

The upcoming structure, called the Edward J. Minskoff Pavilion, is a $62 million addition to the Business College Complex set to open fall 2019.

"It looks like it's damage to the flashing from the storm," Young said. The flashing is the section on the edge of the structure's roof.

The project manager for the pavilion's construction will be checking the area in the morning to access any further damage. IPF has not sent out a campus-wide alert as of right now, but Young said no one was hurt.

"It does not look like it's structural damage, so we really don't think that there's a danger situation," Young said. "But the project manager will be able to assess it a little bit better tomorrow."

Share and discuss “Storm causes minor damage to MSU Business College Pavilion project ” on social media.