Odd rotations, big game from seniors help No. 9 MSU dominate Nebraska

<p>Senior forward Kenny Goins (25) celebrates scoring a 3-pointer during the men&#x27;s basketball game against Indiana on Feb. 2, 2019 at Breslin Center. Michigan State lost to Indiana in overtime 79-75.</p>

Senior forward Kenny Goins (25) celebrates scoring a 3-pointer during the men's basketball game against Indiana on Feb. 2, 2019 at Breslin Center. Michigan State lost to Indiana in overtime 79-75.

Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

The race for Michigan State's second-consecutive Big Ten regular season championship became much more interesting.

The MSU seniors had a big night Tuesday as the No. 9 Spartans (24-6,15-4 Big Ten) defeated Nebraska (15-15 5-14 Big Ten) 91-76 at the Breslin Center. The win moves MSU to a first-place tie with Purdue, which lost in upset fashion at Minnesota late Tuesday, keeping the Spartans' conference title hopes alive, even after losing to Indiana on Saturday.

Seventh-ranked Michigan is also tied with MSU and Purdue for the conference lead, though the rematch between Spartans and the Wolverines scheduled for Saturday (8 p.m./ESPN) will determine the top seed in the impending tournament, and at least a partial share of the regular season title.

Several Spartans hit career milestones; freshman forward Aaron Henry set a new career high with 15 points, senior guard Matt McQuaid hit a career high 22 points and fifth-year senior Kenny Goins had a career-high 24 points and six made three pointers.

“I just ended up open and once you see two or three go in, it seems like a basket’s an ocean and you have to let it keep going,” Goins said about the open looks he had.

Nebraska shot 41.9 percent from the field, 37 percent from three point range and 58.3 percent from the line for the game. Senior guard James Palmer Jr., led the Cornhuskers with 30 points and four rebounds, followed by senior guard Glynn Watson Jr.’s 25 points and four boards.

The first half was dominated by Goins after the forward scored a career-high 21 first-half points, fueled by five made three pointers.

“Strange game … if someone told me Kenny Goins was going to be our leading scorer, Matt McQuaid second,” coach Tom Izzo said, shaking his head about the outcome. “We played four freshmen who I thought we might redshirt three of them.”

During the first half, Izzo called for a line-up of all five freshmen.

The Spartans did not seem to miss redshirt junior forward Kyle Ahrens much, as underclassmen stepped up their rebounding game. Led by sophomore forward Xavier Tillman’s five first half rebounds, holding Nebraska to ten points in the paint and nine second chance points in the first half.

Izzo has voiced his concerns about rebounding this season, especially the last couple games. Without junior foward Nick Ward, Tillman has had to step up and fill the defensive role.

The Spartans had the 18 point lead at half, 47-29.

MSU shot 59.3 percent from the field, 64.3 percent from beyond the arc and were perfect 6-for-6 at the line in the first half. McQuaid trailed Goins with 13 first-half points and three rebounds as the leaders.

Nebraska struggled to counter a strong MSU defense. The Cornhuskers shot 31.3 percent from the field, 33.3 percent from three-point range and 55.6 percent from the line. Nebraska came back strong early in the second half and held MSU 1-for-7 from the field around the eight minute mark in the second half. MSU countered with several shutout runs that later fueled the strong finish by the Spartans.

“I was disappointed in the first half in the turnovers and we cleaned those up.” Izzo said about the one second half turnover.

For the game, the Spartans shot 53.3 percent from the field, 50 percent from beyond the arc and 88.2 percent from the line and also outscored Nebraska 19-17 on fast break points and 32-30 in the paint. Predominantly the Cornhuskers are a post team and the Spartans were ready for the post play calls.

Junior guard Cassius Winston had a quiet night scoring eight points, four rebounds and ten assists.

“I was just trying to do everything I could for the team and get everybody involved and they did a good job stepping up,” Winston said of the win.

Izzo mentioned Winston has been battling knee tendinitis the past few games, though hinted the point guard should be fine for Saturday's rematch with U-M.

“Cassius Winston has given me everything he’s got and we got to figure out the next couple of games.” Izzo said of Winston's knees.

Share and discuss “Odd rotations, big game from seniors help No. 9 MSU dominate Nebraska” on social media.