Softball home opener postponed until next week

<p>Junior outfielder Ebonee Echols (3) hits the ball during the home opener game on March 28, 2018 at Secchia Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Broncos, 6-1.</p>

Junior outfielder Ebonee Echols (3) hits the ball during the home opener game on March 28, 2018 at Secchia Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Broncos, 6-1.

Michigan State softball's home-opening game against Western Michigan has been postponed due to field conditions. The match, originally set for Thursday, March 14, has been rescheduled for 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 20 at Secchia Stadium.

With the melting snow and anticipated rain, the forecast will not allow for the outfield at Secchia Stadium to dry out enough to be in game condition.

"I was really hopeful when I saw Thursday's forecast, but we're just not there yet with how wet the outfield areas are," coach Jacquie Joseph said. "We have the best field staff and grounds crew in the business, but there's really only so much you can do. We were able to make an alternate date work, so hopefully pushing it back a week will have us ready to go on Wednesday and then for our Big Ten series against Penn State next weekend."

The team is currently 7-15 overall to start off the 2019 season.

The Spartans play their final non-conference tournament of the season in Oxford, Ohio where they will compete in the Miami Invitational March 16-17. MSU will face Dayton twice, Austin Peay, and host Miami in the two-day affair.

Share and discuss “Softball home opener postponed until next week” on social media.