Five restaurants to try in Des Moines during the first round of March Madness

<p>Sparty joins the Spartan Brass during a timeout vs. Ohio State. The Spartans beat the Buckeyes, 77-70 at the United Center on March 15, 2019.</p>

Sparty joins the Spartan Brass during a timeout vs. Ohio State. The Spartans beat the Buckeyes, 77-70 at the United Center on March 15, 2019.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

Michigan State basketball is set to play their first NCAA tournament against Bradley University at 2:45 p.m. EST on Thursday in Des Moines, Iowa. Spartans in the area looking for a bite to eat or a place to drink should check out these unique restaurants and bars.

If you are looking for somewhere cheap to eat, be sure to check out Taco Mariana's. The Mexican cuisine restaurant has received a 4.5 star rating on Yelp. According to a review, it appears that Taco Mariana's offers $1 tacos on Wednesdays and Thursdays, which could come in handy for Spartans looking for an affordable meal.

If tacos do not sound appealing, go for a fine dining experience at Harbinger. With a multitude of options, there is something for everyone at this restaurant. Do not miss happy hour Tuesday through Saturday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Whether the Spartans win or lose, you'll need to know what bars are in the area. Confluence Brewery Company offers 19 beers on tap and even sells 4-packs. The brewery does not sell food in the taproom, but notes that you are more than welcome to bring your own or even have it delivered to you.

Another bar in the Des Moines area is Up-Down. This bar also happens to feature nearly 40 arcade games from Space Invaders to NBA Jam. That said, there is bound to be a game for everyone. Up-Down is also open until 2 a.m. every night and offers daily specials.

Looking for dessert? Visit Black Cat Ice Cream where you can get a cup of ice cream for $5. Some of the flavors offered include Lucky Charms, Red Velvet Oreo and Blueberry Lemon Sorbet.

Share and discuss “Five restaurants to try in Des Moines during the first round of March Madness ” on social media.