MSUPD and ELPD make 12 arrests on St. Patrick's Day

<p>People wish Sgt. Marc Smith a “Happy St. Patrick’s Day” on March 17, 2013, on M.A.C. Ave. During his ride, Smith got everything from well wishes to “I hate you” from people walking. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

People wish Sgt. Marc Smith a “Happy St. Patrick’s Day” on March 17, 2013, on M.A.C. Ave. During his ride, Smith got everything from well wishes to “I hate you” from people walking. Julia Nagy/The State News

There were 12 arrests on St. Patrick's Day, according to the East Lansing Police Department and the Michigan State University Police Department crime logs.

ELPD Deputy Chief Steve Gonzalez said the department staffed appropriately for the holiday on Sunday which coincided with an MSU vs. University of Michigan basketball game.

"Overall the entire weekend really was fairly calm compared to some other St. Patrick's Days that we've seen," Gonzalez said.

MSUPD reports in their crime log three incidents of operating a vehicle under the influence of liquor or drugs, one resulting in arrest March 17.

One incident of larceny was reported at The Union, the crime log cites an arrest for this incident.

One incident of fourth degree criminal sexual conduct was reported in Wonders Hall and is currently under investigation.

The third arrest MSUPD made was at the Lansing Township Police Department for an incident of obstructing justice.

ELPD made nine arrests on Sunday, the bulk coming from incidents of disorderly conduct.

ELPD reports seven incidents of disorderly conduct near campus along with two incidents of assault. All incidents of disorderly conduct resulted in arrest and neither incident of assault led to arrest.

"It's actually a pretty low number for St. Patrick's Day. Because our disorderly conduct code covers a very wide variety of behavior that's deemed disorderly conduct, for us to only have seven arrests for disorderly conduct, that's a really good thing," Gonzalez said.

ELPD reported one incident of arson on Sunday on Evergreen Ave. and Oakhill Ave. Gonzalez said ELPD responded to two fires both occurring immediately after the basketball game. A couch was burned in Cedar Village Apartments and a Christmas tree was burned at another location.

The other two arrests ELPD made were for cocaine possession and driving with a suspended license.

According to Gonzalez ELPD responded to 270 calls in the 24 hours of Saint Patrick's Day. The calls included emergency and non-emergency reports.

Share and discuss “MSUPD and ELPD make 12 arrests on St. Patrick's Day” on social media.