MSU to launch survey focused on sexual misconduct policies, perceptions

One of MSU's landmarks, the Beaumont Tower, is pictured.
One of MSU's landmarks, the Beaumont Tower, is pictured. —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

Michigan State will launch its first ever campus-wide survey focused on the culture, perceptions and policies associates with relationship violence and sexual misconduct across all university communities, including undergraduate students, graduate and professional students, faculty and staff, the university announced March 13.

The Know More @ MSU survey is being led by the Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct, or RVSM, Expert Advisory Workgroup, and the data collected will be used to shape future programming efforts, policy development and resource allocation, according to a press release.

“We recognized that while various surveys have been done with subgroups of our campus community over the years, we don’t have consistent information from students, staff or faculty about perspectives and experiences related to RVSM issues,” Carrie Moylan, a member of the RVSM Workgroup, said in the release.

For RVSM to better assess information and allow for better transparency, MSU is working with an external research organization — RTI International — to conduct the survey. RTI has an extensive history in designing and conducting these types of surveys, the press release said.

Information collected in the survey will be anonymous. Invitations to participate in the voluntary survey will be sent out via email Tuesday, however, the final survey report is not expected to be available until fall 2019.

“As we met with many campus constituents last spring, we heard a desire for more information that can be used to shape the ongoing process of examining our campus culture and ensuring that programs and resources are available and appropriate to the needs of everyone in our community," Moylan said in the press release.

Share and discuss “MSU to launch survey focused on sexual misconduct policies, perceptions” on social media.