MSU's new "Know More" campaign aims to bring awareness to sexual assault resources

A student crosses Harrison in front of Brody Hall on Sept. 26, 2018. The teal ribbon symbolizes support for sexual assault survivors.

This fall, MSU initiated their "Know More" campaign, designed to ensure that students, staff and faculty are aware of the resources the university offers for those affected by sexual misconduct, relationship violence and stalking.

The campaign is "one more way Michigan State is renewing its efforts to provide a safe environment where all students feel protected, empowered, aware of their rights and knowledgeable about available resources," a university press release said.

This campaign will include posters on campus with all resources listed, as well as centralizing those resources online.

All resources, employment and volunteer opportunities related to sexual assault can all be found on MSU's Office for Civil Rights and Title IX website

“The Know More campaign visibly acknowledges the existence of relationship violence and sexual misconduct and normalizes and validates resources and options available to trauma survivors,”  Tana Fedewa, director of the MSU Sexual Assault Program, said in the press release. “My hope is that the Know More campaign will reduce stigma and increase help-seeking for those impacted by relationship violence and sexual misconduct.”

The yearly online Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct, or RVSM, training, which is required for students in order to see their grades, has now been complemented by mandatory, in-person sexual assault prevention training for first-year and transfer students, and mandatory in-person bystander training for second-year students. 

“In the wake of the horrific revelations stemming from the trial of Larry Nassar and the survivors’ testimony prior to his sentencing, MSU has responded in an unprecedented way,” Rob Kent, interim director of the MSU Office of Civil Rights, said in the release. “While healing for survivors — and for the campus community — might come slowly, the university recognized that immediate and ongoing action is needed to improve and promote its policies, procedures and the culture surrounding relationship violence and sexual misconduct and its reporting.”

Share and discuss “MSU's new "Know More" campaign aims to bring awareness to sexual assault resources” on social media.