MSU seniors play pivotal role in win over U-M

Senior forward Matt McQuaid (20) looks for an opening during the game against Michigan at Breslin Center March 9, 2019. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 75-63.
Senior forward Matt McQuaid (20) looks for an opening during the game against Michigan at Breslin Center March 9, 2019. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 75-63. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

It was the perfect ending to Matt McQuaid's career at the Breslin Center.

With just over a minute remaining, the senior shooting guard received a pass from a double-teamed Cassius Winston. Without a defender on McQuaid, he charged in from the right corner, caught Winston's pass at the edge of the paint and went up with a two-handed slam, which sent the sold-out home crowd into a deafening frenzy. It was also the exclamation point in ninth-ranked Michigan State's 75-63 Senior Day win over No. 7 Michigan (26-5, 15-5 in Big Ten) on Saturday.

McQuaid ended with nine points and 3-of-9 shooting from the field, which included a key 3-pointer in the 24-5 momentum-changing swing in the second half that saw the Spartans run away with the game and help MSU (25-6, 16-4) win a share of its second straight Big Ten regular season title.

With 13 seconds remaining, McQuaid and fellow senior Kenny Goins checked out one last time on their home floor, kissing the Spartan helmet at mid-court to a roaring ovation before hugging coaches on their way back to the bench.

"It doesn't get any better than this … well, it probably does, but this is all I have experienced," McQuaid joked. "There are so many good feelings tonight. Senior night, beating your rival, and a Big Ten Championship."

As for Goins, the in-state forward from Warren Mott High School, he finished with nine points and a game-high 16 rebounds in 38-plus minutes. The 6 foot, 7 inch forward earned all nine points from 3-point shooting, and also delivered a clutch triple at the start of the run, which cut MSU's deficit to a 50-48 contest with 11:38 to play.

When asked which senior delivered the more clutch performance, all Winston could do was shrug.

“I can’t answer that," smiled Winston, who led all scorers with 23 points. "They both had huge games.”

Goins, MSU's only fifth-year player, turned down offers from multiple Division I schools in pursuit of a preferred walk-on spot with the Spartans. Coach Tom Izzo praised Goins for his tenacity, going from a role player at the bottom of Izzo's rotation to 31-game starter averaging 9.75 points in conference play.

"Kenny's got his own stamp, but the way he's improved his shooting, my staff and he deserve the credit for that," Izzo said. "Not a real confident kid (when he came in), started getting more confidence, became one of our best defensive players."

Despite sharing the Big Ten Championship with Purdue, MSU earned the top seed in the conference tournament with Saturday's win. The Spartans resume play on Friday from the United Center in Chicago and will play the winner of No. 8 Ohio State (18-13, 8-12)/No. 9 Indiana (17-14, 8-12) at 12:30 p.m. EST.

But until then, the seniors will bask in their moment.

"It is kind of picture perfect," Goins said. "We have been through hell and back and we pulled out the trifecta with Michigan, the championship and senior night. It doesn't get any better than this."

Share and discuss “MSU seniors play pivotal role in win over U-M” on social media.