Michigan State fundraising campaign ends, raises $1.83 billion

<p>The Eugene C Eppley Center houses several units of the Eli Broad College of Business including the IBM On-Demand Supply Chain Laboratory  </p>

The Eugene C Eppley Center houses several units of the Eli Broad College of Business including the IBM On-Demand Supply Chain Laboratory  

Photo by Cameron Macko | The State News

The Michigan State Empower Extraordinary campaign raised $1.83 billion before it ended in December 2018.

Launched in summer 2011, Empower Extraordinary is a capital campaign that allocated funding for construction projects, scholarships and faculty research at MSU. The campaign's original fundraising goal was set for $1.5 billion – which was exceeded in September 2017.

More than 250,000 donors gave to the university as part of the campaign, which ended in December 2018 with a $1.83 billion end total. Those funds will, or already have, contributed to the following: 

• 3,000 student scholarships.
  • 100 new endowed faculty positions.
  • Increasing funding for research.
  • Eight major construction projects.

MSU alumnus Edward Minskoff donated $30 million through the campaign — the largest single-donor donation in MSU's history — for the construction of the new Eli Broad College of Business Pavilion. The $60 million facility is scheduled to open in fall 2019. 

Plans for the College of Music's new 37,000 square-foot pavilion, which began construction in June 2018, were also funded through the campaign. Donors put up $11 million of $17.5 million for the facility, later matched by the university to cover its $35 million total cost. 

While a chunk of the funds came in the form of pledges or charitable requests, more than $1 billion was received and has already funded student scholarships, graduate fellowships, faculty research and the building projects, according to the university. 

Share and discuss “Michigan State fundraising campaign ends, raises $1.83 billion ” on social media.