McQuaid sprains ankle, could be 'OK' to play at IU Saturday

Senior guard Matt Mcquaid (20) drives on Michigan's Jordan Poole. The Spartans beat the Wolverines, 77-70, on Feb. 24, 2019 at the Crisler Center.
Senior guard Matt Mcquaid (20) drives on Michigan's Jordan Poole. The Spartans beat the Wolverines, 77-70, on Feb. 24, 2019 at the Crisler Center. —
Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

Michigan State could be down another body on Saturday.

Spartans coach Tom Izzo said after practice Thursday that guard Matt McQuaid did not participate after suffering a right ankle sprain. 

Izzo didn't give specifics when the injury happened to McQuaid, but is hopeful the 6 foot, 4 inch senior from Duncanville, Texas, will be able to play Saturday when No. 6 MSU (23-5, 14-3 in Big Ten) is at Indiana (14-14, 5-12). 

"He didn't practice one minute today," Izzo said of McQuaid. "I think he sprained it a little but, but I think he'll be OK."

The ailment marks the second that could keep McQuaid out this season — he missed three games earlier this season against Louisville, Rutgers and Iowa after suffering a deep tissue bruise in his upper thigh. 

"I've just been kind of careful," McQuaid said. "Taking it day by day and just getting some rest."

In conference play, McQuaid is averaging 9.9 points in 15 games, the second-highest mark among healthy players behind Cassius Winston (20.0), while averaging 33.6 minutes per game and started in 24 of the 25 games he's appeared in. He scored 13 points and five rebounds in 37 minutes in MSU's 77-70 win at then-No. 7 Michigan on Sunday.

McQuaid's injury is potentially the latest in a myriad that have hindered MSU this season. Wing Joshua Langford is out for the rest of the season after he underwent surgery to repair a stress injury in his left foot suffered on Dec. 29. Forward Nick Ward's season remains up in the air after he fractured his left hand against Ohio Sate in mid-February. 

Guard Kyle Ahrens has battled chronic back issues and Winston is dealing with tendinitis in both knees. 

McQuaid, however, said he hopes he won't even be sideline at all.

"I guess the main thing is ... to not make it any worse and be good to go tomorrow," he said.

Share and discuss “McQuaid sprains ankle, could be 'OK' to play at IU Saturday” on social media.