"It's On Us" week on campus aims to raise awareness of sexual assault

A poster from the "Go Teal" campaign at the It's On Us Day of Action event at Duffy Daugherty Football Building on April 6, 2018. (Annie Barker | State News)
A poster from the "Go Teal" campaign at the It's On Us Day of Action event at Duffy Daugherty Football Building on April 6, 2018. (Annie Barker | State News) —
Photo by Annie Barker | The State News
"It’s On Us" Week of Action, beginning on April 1 and ending on April 5, will consist of several events held across Michigan State's campus to educate the community and raise awareness of sexual assault.

"It’s On Us" is a national campaign “dedicated to ending sexual violence on college campuses.” The Week of Action, which takes place once in the fall and once in the spring, is the campaign’s most active time.

“Through ‘It’s On Us’ week, we can continue to empower our campus on different ways to prevent sexual and relationship violence and grow as a community,” Director of the Prevention, Outreach and Education Department Kelly Schweda said in a press release. “This is a way for different student and community groups to engage and support survivors healing.”

According to the "It’s On Us" week flyer, the events being held include:

Monday, April 1

A “teal out” will mark the first day of "It's On Us" week. Students, staff, faculty and other members of the university community will be encouraged to wear teal in support of survivors of sexual assault.

Tuesday, April 2

The MSU Sexual Assault Program will host a trauma informed yoga session at the Broad Art Museum from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The University Activities Board will also host an open mic at the MSU Union from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Wednesday, April 3

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, will host “Start Believing Day” from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. outside of Wells Hall.

"(ASMSU) will be handing out t-shirts, MSU Bakers cookies, and other giveaways to raise awareness and show support for survivors of sexual assault," the event page said.

Thursday, April 4

Gail Stern, author and speaker on issues related to sexual assault awareness and prevention, will give a keynote address at the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. and again from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Friday, April 5

The Office for International Students and Scholars will host a coffee hour and resource fair from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the International Center.

Share and discuss “"It's On Us" week on campus aims to raise awareness of sexual assault” on social media.