Sunday, May 31, 2020

Improv comedy group, 3PEAT, to perform on campus

The cast of 3PEAT, an improv comedy show coming to campus. Photo courtesy of 3PEAT.
The cast of 3PEAT, an improv comedy show coming to campus. Photo courtesy of 3PEAT. —

Improv comedy group, 3PEAT, will take center stage March 16 at Michigan State's Business College Complex to give MSU students a chance to preview their latest skits.

The group started out on their own as comedians, and expressed that they competed against each other for the minority role in skits. After becoming tired of the competition, 3PEAT cast memer Nnamdi Ngwe said they decided to join together as friends to create shows that represent cultural differences and positivity.

Ngwe went into detail about the message 3PEAT aims to convey when presenting their work on stage.

“We definitely try to perform at the top of our intelligence, we have fun with what we do,” Ngwe said. “We try to shine a positive light on African American issues or just things we deal with and point them out in a fun way. We try to shine a light on certain things.”

The University Activities Board, or UAB, reached out to the comedy group, asking them to come to campus to give MSU students a free show.

“Definitely expect to see high energy," Ngwe said. "Our fun, spontaneous jokes have gained popularity for a reason. We’re successful individually and as a group. It’s a preview of more to come with Comedy Central and other outlets.”

Last year, 3PEAT did a project with Comedy Central, and in the past, some of the cast members have worked with Saturday Night Live, Netflix's Disjointed and Wild N’ Out.  

Ngwe highlighted the positive impact improv has had on the team, allowing them to express creativity and connect with the audience.

"It’s a cool way to collaborate with others and tell stories spontaneously, and it’s very accessible. Us as a cast are having fun with ourselves, and also having fun with the audience members," Ngwe said. "As an audience member, believe it or not, but they are helping to tell and shape the story. We go to them for suggestions and ideas, and it all inspires the story and the crazy fun we have together."

The show begins at 9:00 pm in Room N130 of the Business College Complex.

Share and discuss “Improv comedy group, 3PEAT, to perform on campus” on social media.