Former Osteopathic Medicine dean Strampel hit with new felony charge

Former MSU dean William Strampel sits during his preliminary hearing  on June 5, 2018 at the 54B District Court. Strampel is charged with four criminal charges including a fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct charge and a felony count of misconduct in office.
Former MSU dean William Strampel sits during his preliminary hearing on June 5, 2018 at the 54B District Court. Strampel is charged with four criminal charges including a fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct charge and a felony count of misconduct in office.

The Michigan Attorney General's office has filed to charge William Strampel, former dean of the Michigan State College of Osteopathic Medicine, with an additional count of second-degree criminal sexual conduct, according to court records.

This would be Strampel's fifth charge in the Attorney General's investigation into MSU's handling of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse. Strampel initially faced four charges: Two charges of willful neglect, one charge of misconduct in office and a felony charge of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct.

A court affidavit from March 2018 revealed that Strampel, who was Nassar's former boss, allowed Nassar to continue seeing patients after a 2014 Title IX investigation into the former MSU doctor. At the conclusion of the investigation, Strampel was given instructions for Nassar to follow when meeting with patients — instructions Strampel did not monitor or enforce.

According to three women who testified against Strampel in June 2018, Strampel sexually assaulted and harassed female students and employees at MSU.

Strampel was the first to be charged in the Attorney General's investigation, followed by former MSU gymnastics coach Kathie Klages and former President Lou Anna K. Simon.

The Attorney General's office also filed a motion to admit additional evidence. Strampel is scheduled to go to trial May 28.

Share and discuss “Former Osteopathic Medicine dean Strampel hit with new felony charge” on social media.