Faculty Senate sends candidate questions to presidential search committee

<p>MSU Board of Trustees member Dianne Byrum listens to community input about the MSU presidential search at the Kellogg Conference Center on Oct. 11, 2018.</p>

MSU Board of Trustees member Dianne Byrum listens to community input about the MSU presidential search at the Kellogg Conference Center on Oct. 11, 2018.

Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

A list of questions developed by Michigan State's Faculty Senate was sent to the presidential search committee and will be utilized in developing interviews with candidates.

Currently, the committee is far in the process of finding a permanent university president, set to be chosen by the Board of Trustees in June.

14:00 At Tuesday's Faculty Senate meeting, Chairperson Deborah Moriarty announced a list of 18 questions for candidates received from members of the Faculty Senate. A list of "themes" derived from those questions were sent to the search committee and are available to view online.

15:10 "The short (themed) list of questions, I requested that we get answers in writing from the candidates if they are not willing to become public," Moriarty said. "If they are willing to be public, then they will be asked to the candidates in a public forum."

Chair of the MSU Board of Trustees Dianne Byrum said the list will be used to develop the questions and topics candidates will be asked about. Byrum said she left the request for written responses as an open conversation that will be given serious consideration from the presidential search committee.

16:30 James Madison professor Andaluna Borcila said she and some of her colleagues were worried the questions could be used to shut down talk of whether the public can meet with finalists in open forums. 18:05 Borcila urged Moriarty to continue asking for this.

18:20 "Anybody can basically write a written answer to a question, so I don't really know how much that will give us," Borcila said. "I would really like us to continue to urge the search committee to ask for a public encounter with a top candidate so that we can pose our questions, and they can answer the questions, and we know who's answering the questions.

Questions for PSC by on Scribd

Share and discuss “Faculty Senate sends candidate questions to presidential search committee” on social media.