Annual MSU Science Festival to come to campus, features over 250 events

<p>Biochemistry and nueroscience senior Chris Porzondek teaches Okemos resident Sarah Shim, 9, about photosynthesis April 18, 2015, during the MSU Science Festival in the Chemistry building. Porzondek is a member of the Plant Biology Club which had an educational booth at the event. Kelsey Feldpausch/The State News</p>

Biochemistry and nueroscience senior Chris Porzondek teaches Okemos resident Sarah Shim, 9, about photosynthesis April 18, 2015, during the MSU Science Festival in the Chemistry building. Porzondek is a member of the Plant Biology Club which had an educational booth at the event. Kelsey Feldpausch/The State News

Photo by Kelsey Feldpausch | The State News

The Michigan State Science Festival will take place on campus for the seventh consecutive year from April 5 to April 20.

With over 250 free events featuring different aspects of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) fields, the festival's theme this year is called "Unraveling the Mysteries."

Not only will it happen in East Lansing, a Detroit expo day will be held in conjunction with the festival on April 14. The two-week festival will include talks with global experts, a statewide astronomy night, performances, demonstrations, exhibits and more.

The first day will open with a talk given by Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha about the Flint water crisis and how she and other community leaders came together to determine children of Flint were being exposed to lead in the water supply.

Day two will be one of the biggest days for event, offering over 150 hands-on activities on and off campus that focus science and its global impact. Many of the events will take place at the Biomedical and Physical Sciences Building, Chemistry Building and many more locations on campus.

"Night at the Museum" events across campus are another highlight, and MSU Science Festival coordinator Roxanne Truhn said one of the signature events will feature a digital film about scientist Marie Curie.

"The actress who portrays Marie Curie will be here for the event, we’re really excited for her to be here," Truhn said.

Despite being focused around STEM fields, Truhn said other majors can find ways for the festival to be beneficial for them as well.

“There is science all around you, so it’s just a way to connect,” Truhn said. "We like to say our science festival tells you about the world around you. You might discover that you really do like science with one of these hands-on activities and you might realize that is something you want to go into.”

Scheduled events, their locations, and more information can be found on their website.

Share and discuss “Annual MSU Science Festival to come to campus, features over 250 events” on social media.