U.S. Jazz Ambassador Mimi Jones on tour with Michigan State students

<p>Mimi Jones has worked for more than two decades as a bassist, vocalist, producer, label owner and filmmaker. Photo courtesy of the MSU College of Music.&nbsp;</p>

Mimi Jones has worked for more than two decades as a bassist, vocalist, producer, label owner and filmmaker. Photo courtesy of the MSU College of Music. 

The Michigan State University Federal Credit Union, or MSUFCU, Jazz Artist in Residence program is hosting its third jazz artist this academic year. Mimi Jones, a jazz bassist, will be teaching and touring with jazz students from the MSU College of Music.

The residency program — launched in 2013 — allows for established musicians to pass on their knowledge and experiences to aspiring jazz musicians, the press release said. The program is supported by a $1 million endowment from MSUFCU.

After working with students in the jazz studies program at MSU, Jones will tour with the MSU Jazz Octets, "an advanced ensemble featuring a big band sound through a small group." Together, they will teach and perform at schools, art academies and community venues throughout Michigan from Feb. 5 to Feb. 10.

"It's about the music, but it's also about people and the world that we live in and trying to make it a better place," Jones said. "I love the opportunity to mentor for that reason, and also just because I love the bass and I love the music."

Jones is also a vocalist, producer, label owner and filmmaker. She has toured multiple continents as a U.S. Jazz Ambassador and has worked alongside popular artists including Frank Ocean and Dianne Reeves.

"Mimi radiates with talent and inspires everyone around her with her amazing interpretations and style," Director of Jazz Studies Rodney Whitaker said in the press release. "Schooled by masters and her own life experiences, she's extremely generous in sharing what she's learned with aspiring musicians in the true spirit of jazz."

On Feb. 8, the show will feature a performance with the Jazz Octets at 8 p.m. at the MSU Demonstration Hall. Those interested in attending can buy tickets at the College of Music box office, over the phone at 517-353-5340, online at music.msu.edu or at the door before the show.

"I'm really excited and thankful for this opportunity," Jones said. "I feel like it's definitely a part of my dream and on my bucket list to share with others as a mentor."

Share and discuss “U.S. Jazz Ambassador Mimi Jones on tour with Michigan State students” on social media.