More than 200 faculty sign letter urging Bob Young to reject payout

<p>Bob Young speaks at the Action Meeting of Board of Trustees at the Hannah Administration Building on June 22, 2018.</p>

Bob Young speaks at the Action Meeting of Board of Trustees at the Hannah Administration Building on June 22, 2018.

Photo by Annie Barker | The State News

More than 200 faculty members have signed a letter urging former Michigan State General Counsel Bob Young — who was brought in by former Interim President John Engler — to reject a near $1 million dollar payout owed after Young's dismissal.

Acting President Satish Udpa relieved Young of his duties effective Feb. 1, according to a press release from MSU. News organizations, including the Detroit Free Press, reported that Young is being paid the remainder of his $1.275 million contract.

Associate professor in the Department of Integrative Biology Catherine Lindell said she had been speaking with colleagues around campus, who mutually opposed the payout.

"We thought we would make our ideas and recommendation known," Lindell said.

Starting Feb. 7, Lindell put out requests to colleagues with a copy of her letter. She quickly collected signatures. Some staff members and students signed the letter as well.

"By Monday at noon, we had over 200 signatures," Lindell said.

A copy of the letter has been sent to the MSU Board of Trustees, MSU Dean's Council, Provost June Youatt and Udpa, Lindell said. She has not yet received a response. 

"We think it would be great if he supported MSU and recognized the situation we're in right now and declined the payout," Lindell said.

Share and discuss “More than 200 faculty sign letter urging Bob Young to reject payout” on social media.