Izzo Legacy Run/Walk Announced

<p>College GameDay&#x27;s Jay Williams shakes hands with men&#x27;s basketball Head Coach Tom Izzo during ESPN&#x27;s College GameDay on Feb. 2, 2019, at the Breslin Center. Nic Antaya/The State News</p>

College GameDay's Jay Williams shakes hands with men's basketball Head Coach Tom Izzo during ESPN's College GameDay on Feb. 2, 2019, at the Breslin Center. Nic Antaya/The State News

Photo by Nic Antaya | The State News

The Izzo Legacy Run/Walk will take place on April 13 on Michigan State's campus.

The event is hosted by the Izzo Legacy Family Fund, the Playmakers Fitness Foundation, and On Target Living. This will be the first event held by Izzo's new charitable fund. 

The run/walk is meant to connect alumni, MSU, and Mid-Michigan communities to benefit local charities and celebrate Coach Tom Izzo's legacy.

Participants can choose from five events: 3 Point 5K run/walk, Slam Dunk one mile walk, Future Spartan half mile Children's Run, Virtual Izzo 5K run/walk (for participants off site), and the Spartan Sprint Children's Run. 

The cost to register starts at $40 for the 3 Point 5K, $35 for the Slam Dunk one mile, $30 for the Virtual Izzo 5K, and $20 for the Future Spartan half mile Children's Run and the Spartan Sprint Children's Run. These prices include discounts for participants who register more than a month in advance.

The 5K event will start by the Hall of History at Breslin Student Events Center and finish outside of Spartan Stadium. Participants will then enter the stadium for a victory lap around the field. Participants of the 5K will receive a commemorative event medal and Nike t-shirt. 

"Since the Izzo Legacy Run/Walk is on the morning of the Spring Football game, it provides an opportunity for alumni to return to campus, attend the Spring Football game and participate in the run/walk," Lupe Izzo said. "This is an event that is good for the entire family and one that we hope becomes an annual tradition for people of all ages."

Registration at www.IzzoRace.com will open online at 8 a.m. on Feb. 11.

"Mid-Michigan has been home to Tom and me for virtually all of our adult lives," Lupe said. "Our bond to our community is special and probably unique when compared to other coaches across the country. Quite frankly, it's one of the reasons we've never left. Forming the Izzo Legacy gives us a chance to establish a sustainable way to give back to the MSU and Mid-Michigan communities for years to come. We hope to be able to bring people together to form a team or, better yet, a family where we can all give back together."

Share and discuss “Izzo Legacy Run/Walk Announced” on social media.