Growing popularity means name change for MSU Esports Student Association

Computer science junior Jeff Pi's hand is pictured as he plays a video game on Feb.18, 2017 at Communication Arts and Sciences Building. The LAN event allows students to play offline and play by connecting their consoles or computer with each other. The LAN events goal is to bring together esports players within the MSU community.
Computer science junior Jeff Pi's hand is pictured as he plays a video game on Feb.18, 2017 at Communication Arts and Sciences Building. The LAN event allows students to play offline and play by connecting their consoles or computer with each other. The LAN events goal is to bring together esports players within the MSU community. —
Photo by Jon Famurewa | and Jon Famurewa The State News

Esports — it's a competitive, organized video gaming industry worth billions and it's exploding in popularity. 

And so popular is MSU's own esports organization — the Esports Student Association of MSU, or ESA — that it was asked to change its name due to a name trademark dispute with another company. 

The Entertainment Software Association, a U.S. association that lobbies on behalf of computer and video game publishing companies, contacted MSU ESA asking them to alter their name because "ESA" is their trademark.

MSU ESA's executive board members were surprised to learn about the request, Joseph Lewis, the organization's president, said. The group aims to bring people together to play video games and currently has about 1,100 people in Discord, a software that allows gamers to text and chat.

"The other ESA, which is the Entertainment Software Association — they run the largest video game/technology convention in the United States, E3," Lewis said. 

Entertainment Software Association's notification was a precursor to a cease-and-desist letter. Lewis said getting that was initially exciting. 

"We're getting outreach and it means that what were doing here is impactful and it matters," Lewis said. 

Because MSU ESA is an umbrella organization, and oversees all esports and video game-related clubs at MSU, they assist other organizations with getting their start and securing funding. At a university with plenty of gamers, esports' uptick in notoriety is evident. Just ask MSU Football's Brian Lewerke and other team members about their obsession with Fortnite. 

jtf_fea_msu_esports_04_021817

"We help students create the groundwork and the foundation for the clubs to get approved as (an) RSO at Michigan State because it can be kind of confusing traversing that," Lewis said.

Media and information sophomore Matt Neumann said the organization brings together several different clubs. That includes League of Legends, Overwatch, Fortnite, Rocket League and Starcraft, among others. 

Neumann, MSU ESA's public relations representative, said he was initially surprised by the request from the Entertainment Software Association.

"I was kind of surprised that I hadn't put that together, because I had heard of the other ESA before," Neumann said. 

MSU ESA has until August 2019 to fully change their name before legal action is taken. 

"It's unfortunate that we have to change our branding, but it happens and hopefully we find a good solution to it," Neumann said. "I'm also kind of excited to look at what we can do with it and kind of see what directions we want to take it in."

MSU ESA Human Resources representative Jenna Savage said she laughed when she heard about the name change. 

"I thought it was really funny and I almost suggested contacting my aunt, who is a patent judge in Detroit. Trying to fight the big man," Savage joked. 

But Savage said it would ultimately be more convenient and less of a hassle to change the name. 

"I thought it'd be more convenient to just change it," Savage said. "It's really funny because it's like we are actually getting recognition for being a real thing." 

Savage said the recognition could be good for the organization. Their goal is to get more members to join the clubs supported by them.

"It's also super inclusive of anyone, no matter race, gender, anything," Savage said. "It's the most open place and it's super accessible as well because we have in-person meetings, but we also play from home, so it's really fun."

Members discussed changing the organization's name from ESA to ESSA at their Feb. 13 meeting to accommodate the Entertainment Software Association's request.

Share and discuss “Growing popularity means name change for MSU Esports Student Association” on social media.