Dining halls modify breakfast service due to expected hazardous weather

<p>Students grab a meal while <span class="caps">MSU</span> Culinary Services employees keep up with the rush of people Jan. 6, 2013, at The Vista at Shaw in Shaw Hall. Sunday marked the newly renovated dining hall&#8217;s grand opening as students returned from break. Adam Toolin/The State News</p>

Students grab a meal while MSU Culinary Services employees keep up with the rush of people Jan. 6, 2013, at The Vista at Shaw in Shaw Hall. Sunday marked the newly renovated dining hall’s grand opening as students returned from break. Adam Toolin/The State News

Photo by Adam Toolin | The State News

Michigan State residential dining halls modified Feb. 6 breakfast service to be “continental style" with pre-prepared foods only, due to expected hazardous weather conditions. 

“MSU Culinary Services anticipates that travel to campus will be challenging for team members,” an email sent via Eat At State said.

Chief Communications Officer for Residential and Hospitality services Kat Cooper said they made the decision to switch to continental service because of tomorrow's forecast and the "knowledge that many area elementary, middle and high schools may be closed, as well as the risk that some team members may not have power as trees go down."

“We don't typically switch to a continental-style breakfast unless we have serious concerns about the safety of our team members being able to get to campus," Cooper said. 

The email was sent to on-campus residents at 2:46 p.m. on Tuesday informing them about Wednesday’s menu change.

The East Lansing area should expect freezing rain starting at 1 a.m. going until tomorrow at noon, according to weather.com. Currently, there is a winter weather advisory. 

“We think it's important to be here to serve our students and we hope that the winter weather gives us a bit of a break,” Cooper said.

Share and discuss “Dining halls modify breakfast service due to expected hazardous weather ” on social media.