Campus political organizations react to State of the Union address

<p>Donald Trump speaks with the Chicago Tribune Editorial Board on June 29, 2015, in Chicago.</p>

Donald Trump speaks with the Chicago Tribune Editorial Board on June 29, 2015, in Chicago.

Photo by Michael Tercha/Chicago Tribune/T | The State News

President Donald Trump delivered his second State of the Union address Tuesday night, highlighting some of the accomplishments his administration made in the past year and expressing his legislative priorities for this year.

A transcript of the address can be found here.

Trump began his speech with a call for unity, saying, “The agenda I will lay out this evening is not a Republican agenda or a Democrat agenda. It’s the agenda of the American people.”

His tone changed, however, when he stated during his address that the Democrat-led House of Representatives’ investigations into the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia could bring about the end to the current economic success of the nation. 

“If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation. It just doesn’t work that way," Trump said in his address. 

The State News reached out to campus political organizations to gauge their reactions to the President’s address. Both the MSU College Republicans and MSU College Democrats responded. 

MSU College Republicans Communications Chair Jeremiah Ward said in an emailed statement that, “The College Republicans at Michigan State commend President Trump on a successful first two years and an excellent State of the Union address Tuesday night.”

“In his speech, the President honored several great Americans and their stories. He called for bipartisan unity on issues facing our country," he said. 

Ward also commended Trump for standing "strong in his commitment against socialism, for border security, and for the right to life at every stage." 

“The College Republicans at Michigan State look forward to seeing what President Trump will accomplish as he continues to try to work with both parties in the future," the statement said. 

MSU College Democrats President Carter Oselett pointed out in an emailed statement that for the first time in Trump's presidency, he will have to work with a Democratic majority in the House.

"It is our hope that President Trump will act on his theme of bipartisanship and working together with Speaker Pelosi," Oselett said. “I applaud the president for his commitment to lowering prescription drug prices, combatting (sic) childhood cancer and HIV/AIDS and criminal justice reform.”

However, Oselett also said he found it “deeply concerning that the President used this platform to address his manufactured crisis at the border."

"He used this address to appeal to promise his base a wall that is extremely expensive, archaic, and would prove ineffective," Oselett said. “Overall, the speech was a disappointment.”

Requests for comment on Tuesday's State of the Union address sent to the James Madison College Conservatives, the MSU Young Democratic Socialists of America and Young Americans for Liberty at MSU were not returned in time for publication.

Share and discuss “Campus political organizations react to State of the Union address” on social media.