Spartans add another addition to 2019 signing class

<p>Former Head Coach Mark Dantonio walks out of the tunnel with the team before the game against Central Michigan on Sept. 29, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Chippewas, 31-20.</p>

Former Head Coach Mark Dantonio walks out of the tunnel with the team before the game against Central Michigan on Sept. 29, 2018 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Chippewas, 31-20.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio announced on Wednesday morning Tre’Von Morgan, a 6-foot-6 wide receiver from Massillon, Ohio, has signed his National Letter of Intent. 

With this letter, Morgan will join the football team for the 2019 season. Morgan is the top ranked wide receiver in the state of Ohio by Rivals.com and ESPN.com.

“Tre’Von Morgan is a big-bodied receiver who reminds me a lot of (former Spartan) Plaxico Burress in so many different ways, not just catching the ball and his catch radius, but also the way he attacks things and his aggressive play on the field as well," Dantonio said in a press release. "He comes from an outstanding program in Massillon, Ohio, and played for the state championship this last year. He was really a dominant player for them throughout the year."

Morgan was also listed as one of the top wide receivers in the nation at No. 44, according to Rivals.com. He helped his team at Massillon Washington High School to a 14-1 record and earned a berth in the Ohio Division II state championship. 

During his senior year, he 37 catches for 691 yards and 12 touchdowns. 

“We’re very excited about his opportunities as a Spartan," Dantonio said. "He should have an opportunity to play early in his career. We’ll play him at X, but there’s so many different positions that he could play as he makes his journey to Michigan State.”

MSU signed 18 players to National Letters of Intent on early signing period on Dec. 19, 2018. 

“Seven of those guys are here now (as early enrollees), what we would call ‘rookies.’ They’re doing an outstanding job and they’re adjusting to college football, college academics and college life. There’s quite an adjustment. (They’re doing) an outstanding job right now,” Dantonio said about the Class of 2019. "Spring ball starts here in March, so we’re looking forward to that. We’re extremely happy with our recruiting class and I think we have high quality players and high quality people.” 

The Spartans will have their spring game on April 13, at 2 p.m. where the seven early enrollees for the 2019 signing class will be able to showcase themselves along with the rest of the team. 

Share and discuss “Spartans add another addition to 2019 signing class” on social media.