Anishinaabek Caucus becomes Dems' first Native American caucus

Lavora Barnes, Andrea Pierce, and Julie Dye, left to right
Lavora Barnes, Andrea Pierce, and Julie Dye, left to right —

The Michigan Democratic Party has formed its first Native American caucus. 

Andrea Pierce, Julie Dye, Tom Shomin and Desmond Berry — all members of various native tribes in Michigan — created the Anishinaabek Caucus to organize around native concerns in Michigan politics, according to a press release.

Anishinaabek translates to “natives” from Ojibwe, according to the Ojibwe People’s Dictionary.

Michigan Democratic Party Chair Lavora Barnes authorized the caucus shortly after her Feb. 2 election and spoke at an Anishinaabek conference to support the inclusion of the native community in her organization.

"The Michigan Democratic Party's Anishinaabek Caucus is long overdue and will bring forth matters of priority and concern to Michigan's native community,” Barnes said in a statement. “I am proud that the first new caucus formed under my leadership at (the Michigan Democratic Party) will give voice to our state's first peoples and a pulpit for their interests."

The caucus’s priorities include improving low high school graduation rates and high rates of imprisonment and domestic violence among the native population, among others. 

The caucus is also shining a light on the “statistically high” number of native women murdered and abducted each year, which the press release said has been poorly investigated.

The first action of the Anishinaabek Caucus was condemning the use of the word “redskins" as a racial slur.

Members encouraged the state Board of Education and the Legislature to impose sanctions on any educational institution using the word or any other race-based sports team names, mascots or other displays in a manner deemed by Native Americans to be racially or culturally offensive.

The condemnation was made in partnership with the party.

“The Michigan Democratic Party accepts the mission to engage, as a matter of mutual concern, issues that impact the health, security, safety and general welfare of Native Americans,” the resolution said.

All 12 of Michigan’s federally recognized tribes approved the action, which was passed in order to address “stereotyping and prejudicial treatment of their heritage and race,” according to the release.

Share and discuss “Anishinaabek Caucus becomes Dems' first Native American caucus” on social media.